RAPS is short for Regional Animal Protection Society, a registered charity and operator of a sanctuary which houses and cares for nearly 500 homeless or abandoned cats in Richmond, BC, Canada. The Neko Files is a celebration of the sanctuary and all those who live and work there.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Bossanova

Like Meepos, Bossanova was trapped on Mitchell Island in February. Unlike Meepos, Bossanova has proved much harder to sell on the whole idea of trusting humans.

Bossanova photographed from the safety of neighbour Meepos's cage

Even after the "animal care staff only" sign came off his cage, Bossanova was one of the few newcomers I've ever felt nervous about approaching to so much as refresh his water or top up his kibble. He wouldn't even give me a chance to open the door before he'd start glaring and hissing. I heard talk of him lunging at people.


And then recently I started to hear that he'd had his chin successfully rubbed from a safe distance with the help of a back scratcher. And then Ann shocked me by claiming that if approached slowly, he not only could be patted with bare fingers but actually liked tummy rubs.

I wasn't entirely convinced I'd be able to safely replicate her results, but Bossanova himself convinced me that it was entirely possible. He even let me document the process.




5 comments:

  1. He's got the potential to make someone a very nice lap-cat. He reminds me a bit of Luongo (feline, not human...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He will be posted on my Face Book...this cute fellow needs a home...by the way I love his ear!! so cute

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met mr bossonova tonight (love that name), he has quite an intimidating look to him with that face and those ears but braced with your post in the back of my mind, I attempted a pet when I normally wouldn't have. We're still a little shy with each other so it didn't get very far but it's good to know his bark is worse than his bite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meepos has moved in with him, and the two are cuddling - Meepos is a determined washer, and Bossanova's enjoying the attention!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to look for Meepos - not sure I know him. Bossanova has really progressed and had him on my lap last week. Spent quite awhile talking to him and petting his head - he does the same thing Saffron does if you pet the back - it's a dip of the head. Very odd. Anyway, after much conversation I picked him up and plunked him on my lap where he stayed for a bit - till someone else got too close. Love him. Bev

    ReplyDelete